Port Kembla, 1890

From the collections of the Wollongong City Library
and the Illawarra Historical Society  (P06804)

The quiet surrounds of a beachside, largely farming area south of Wollongong may have seemed an unlikely location for a new, large heavy industry. The Port Kembla site though offered a major advantage in that a plant might be sited close to deep water access for both Australian and overseas shipping of ore. Other advantages included the availability of coal as an energy source, and proximity to Sydney (and, as suggested by some historians, distance from Sydney). Visiting dignitaries were later to comment favourably on the nature of the Illawarra natural environment, as a location for a smelter.    

The company which was set up in 1905 to build the Port Kembla copper smelter (The Electrolytic Refining and Smelting Company of Australia Ltd, ER&S) was owned by Mount Morgan Mining Co (two thirds) and a specialist German metallurgical company Aaron Hirsch und Sohne (one third), with a share capital of £150,000.

Construction of the new plant commenced on 1 February 1908, with smelting commencing in February the following year. It was a complex, modern plant housed in fifteen large buildings, and able to process copper ore (5 – 12% copper), matte copper (semi-processed ore at about 42% copper), blister copper (99% copper), gold concentrates, gold ores, and silver ores, and also to refine ‘dore’ bullion – mixed silver and gold. It was constructed for a cost of nearly £150,000 exclusive of stocks.    

 

ER&S Site Prior to construction, 1907

From the collection of the Wollongong City Library (P03900)

Links to the Dapto Smelter    

The plant’s construction and staffing provided an interesting link to its predecessor smelter, the Dapto Smelter. That smelter had been built in expectation of the development of a deepwater port on Lake Illawarra southwest of Port Kembla. When that did not eventuate, and influenced also by other economic factors of the time, the smelter closed in 1905.    

In 1907 its owner, the Australian Smelting Corporation (ASC) , purchased land at Port Kembla from the state government, with the aim of transferring the Dapto operation to that site. While siteworks were commenced, they did not continue and, with a drop in world metal prices, the company went into liquidation in January 1908.

When the new enterprise commenced construction, the former Port Kembla offices and houses of the ASC were rented for staff use, the office staff transferred to the new company, and siteworks for the new plant were overseen by the former earthworks contractor for the ASC.    

 

Abandoned Australian Smelting Corporation site ca 1920-30

From the collection of Wollongong City Library (P02829)

Testing Times – and Success    

The early days of ER&S were not easy, with low international copper prices in 1909 even causing the company to consider suspension of operations. In 1910, the company managed to secure a contract to refine blister copper for the Mt Lyell Mining Company, which helped underpin ongoing operations. It was the onset of World War I however, with its associated demand for copper for munitions, which finally saw the company enter a period of sustained profitability, a profit of £10,742 being registered for the year ending October 1916. Further equipment construction saw the plant become by 1916 the largest copper smelter and refinery in the British Empire, with a capacity of 30,000 tons of refined copper per year.    

Plant and Equipment    

The ER&S plant was specifically designed as a custom smelter – that is, with the ability to handle a variety of ores, the design not being premised on a single ore type. It had from the outset a high degree of flexibility of operation, as noted above. That was to be enhanced over the years by the addition of further specialised separation processes. A 1961 plant description for example showed its diversity in input and output materials:    

 

Inputs    

Outputs    

· ore concentrates

· copper matte

· white metal

· miscellaneous copper ores

· gold ores and concentrates from all parts of Australia 

· copper-bearing residues 

· low grade copper scrap

· blister copper

· contaminated high grade scrap copper    

· blister copper

· refined copper in various forms 

· copper alloy billets 

· specialty alloys (eg cable sheathing, white metal bearing alloys) 

· sulphur-rich off-gas (for sulphuric acid production) 

· nickel sulphate 

· copper sulphate 

· silver, gold, and platinum

· palladium, selenium and tellurium  

 

 

Charging of the refining furnaces by the State Premier

From the collections of the State Library of NSW

The initial ER&S production plant comprised

- two reverberatory furnaces to produce copper matte from ore, each capable of producing copper matte from 40 tons of ore per day.

- converters to produce blister copper from the matte

- an anode furnace which melted the blister copper for casting to anodes, and provided preliminary thermal refining

- an anode casting machine

- a tankhouse equipped with some hundreds of electrolysis tanks, and all the pumping and process equipment needed for electrolyte handling

- a wirebar furnace to melt copper for casting

- wirebar and billet casting facilities including both batch (billet) and continuous casting

- smaller specialist facilities including furnaces and electrolytic facilities to handle gold and silver

a wide range of ancillary and support processes includ9ing a sinter plant for blast furnace feed preparation, and rare earth recovery processes.

For a description of the operations of the plant, see here.

For a description of the operations of the plant, see here. 

 

 Blown copper converters

From the collections of the Wollongong City Library
and the Illawarra Historical Society  (P13860)

The plant was a classical metallurgical operation employing a range of    

- physical processes such as sedimentation (in the electrolyte purification and slime settling stages)    

- thermal processes such as evaporation of nickel-bearing acid solutions    

- pyrometallurgical processes such as the blast furnaces and converters, and    

- electrochemical separation processes, applied to a range of metals in the tankhouse.    

Tank House – electrolytic cells

From the collections of the Wollongong City Library
and the Illawarra Historical Society  (P13861)

The overall production configuration was flexibly designed, such that materials could enter at virtually any stage of the process, and be subject to one or many stages of refining. It was a complex plant.    

Anode casting machine

From the collections of the Wollongong City Library
and the Illawarra Historical Society  (P06449)

Plant Development    

Over the years the plant saw substantial capacity expansion and plant upgrades (though none of the scale of its last major upgrade in 1999 described below). Plant upgrades included a new sinter plant and blast furnace in 1958, and a range of lesser equipment additions. Reflecting the variability of product markets and consequent profitability, there were also long periods when capital expenditure was at a minimum, and designed only to keep the existing plant operating. Environmental equipment requirements came to absorb a greater part of capital expenditure as community pressures increased over the life of the plant.    

One notable initiative undertaken was the pilot and later production operation of a quite radically new technology for copper smelting which combined several process steps (blast furnace and converter) into one furnace unit. The technology was known as the WORCRA process, named after its inventor Dr Howard Worner, and CRA as the supporting company. The process was commissioned in 1968 and operated intermittently until 1970. It was not however commercialised. Had it been, it would have competed with the flash smelter process which was to become widespread.    

Community and Pollution    

ER&S was the first large industry to set up in Port Kembla and much subsequent local and regional development owes an acknowledgement to that role, particularly in the provision of employment. That occurred initially at a time of employment stress through the demise of the Dapto Smelter, and later as an ongoing contribution to the development of the Illawarra both directly and also through its several satellite industries, Australian Fertilisers Ltd and Metal Manufacturers Ltd.    

The company was also, for the early decades of its life, closely involved in the affairs of the surrounding community, one which it had been in part responsible for creating. Port Kembla was regarded as a ‘company town’ with both the negative and positive connotations that term had. The company and those who worked for it were prominent and influential in many local activities, particularly in the formative years of Port Kembla as a community.    

Over the years as the community broadened and developed and other industries took their place in the area, the influence of ER&S was diluted, other than in one notable regard which was to be a feature of ER&S’ relationship with the community for many years. That issue was pollution – atmospheric pollution in particular.    

The extent of environmental and health damage arising from acid and related emissions from copper (and other) smelters was far from unknown when the establishment of a smelter was being considered for Port Kembla. Indeed it has been suggested that the location of the smelter at Port Kembla was the result of a conscious decision by the NSW State government to locate likely noxious industry in NSW, but away from Sydney - Port Kembla being selected for that purpose. Whether that were the case or not, ER&S, its associated industries, and other industry such as the steel plant, did make the town of Port Kembla an area of significant environmental disadvantage. Particularly after World War II there was growing community disquiet, developing to resentment, at the impact of emitting industries on their surrounding environment, and on community health.    

Part of that resentment was directed at the State government, which emphasised ER&S’ employment role, and appeared to downplay health aspects of its emissions. In 2000, the government spent nearly five million dollars moving the local primary school away from its location at the base of the smelter stack to a more distant position. Rather than gaining plaudits from the public, that move simply raised issues concerning the houses which remained around the stack, for which government was providing no assistance.    

Ultimately, it was that community response to the threat posed by a polluting industry which was to be the major contributor to the demise of the Port Kembla copper smelter.    

Original ER&S Stack(note steeplejacks)

From the collections of the Wollongong City Library and the Illawarra Historical Society